The Mid Lane is a rundown of developments in the world of esports.
Growth, taxes and malls? An unconventional esports location is dominating the industry news this week. The latest news roundup indicates that all signs point to the continual progression of esports.
- With the taxable state income of esports players flying under the radar until now, the Department of Revenue is seeking tax compliance for those prize pools. (Ellen Zavian, The Washington Post)
- The Mall of Georgia will become home to a new two-level, 13,000-square-foot esports facility (Business Wire). And another 15,000-square-foot esports facility will set up shop in Texas. (Teresa Gubbins, Culturemap)
- Esports industry reported $1B profits (Ari Shapiro, NPR) with as many audience viewers. (James Ayles, Forbes)
- Brands pursue millennials through gaming and esports. (Dean Takahashi, VentureBeat)
- Software company PlayVS and Epic Games have partnered to introduce an official competitive circuit to U.S. high schools and colleges. (Mike Hume, The Washington Post)
- Here’s how the esports transfer market is different from soccer or the NBA. (Graham Ashton, The Esports Observer)